Babylon Students Rock DECA Rochester

Kate Hannon, Staff Writer

On March 6th just after 7th period, 45 students from Babylon High School braced themselves for a long drive and boarded a bus bound for Rochester, New York. There, they would spend the next three days learning about business and competing in their individual events. All students present qualified at the DECA Regionals, which were held in January at Suffolk Community College. There, they had either competed in events like Job Interview and Public Speaking, or they’d taken a 100 question test.

After qualifying,  BHS DECA members began studying, first for the computer tests taken in February, and then for the Role Plays. Role Plays are simulated business scenarios in which students have the opportunity to problem solve and gain business experience. Contestants are given a sheet of paper describing an issue and are given 10 minutes to prepare for single contestants and 20 minutes for teams. Students then meet with a judge and attempt to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the issue, provide a possible solution and incorporate the performance indicators they are given. This is a unique opportunity for students, providing them with real life experience they can actually use.

DECA members didn’t just gain valuable experience, they also had a good time. There was a trivia contest, as well as an interactive scavenger hunt that was won by Babylon student Allie VanRossem! If students were tired of competitions, there was also Just Dance, karaoke, board games and business seminars. In these seminars, students learned about entrepreneurship, time management, goal setting and more.

This year, the iconic DECA Dance was replaced by “Pump Up The Volume.” Students were separated into multiple ballrooms and rather than a DJ and dancing, there were games and activities. Students were disappointed by these changes, and after about an hour Babylon students left, along with many other DECA members.

All in all, though, it was a great trip. Babylon even had two students, Danish Farooq and Joe Conti, who both received third in their events, qualify for nationals! Other outstanding performances were given by Agnes Goldin, Babylon DECA president, as well as Maya Ryan and Meghan Green. The largest group Babylon has ever sent to states did a fantastic job, and next year is shaping up to be even better!