Second Annual Souper Bowl of Caring

Kate Hannon, Staff Writer

On the 26th of January, students, faculty and families gathered in the East Gym to try soups, chilis and desserts. Many people and restaurants submitted soups and chilis to be sampled. Some fan favorites included the Tenety Chili and the Levy Chili, but ultimately the Leo club’s delicious Hawaiian Chili took the top spot. Of the soups, the Bacon Cheeseburger was the subject of much hype, and ultimately took the top spot in the category. In the dessert category, there were brownies, cakes, cookies and more! Megan Burke and Alex Dimiri created a multicolored and multi-layered cake covered with candy and icing. The top spot in the desert category, and overall, went to a delectable platter of assorted cookies .

After having your share of snacks, you could head over to a student-run booth selling lanyards, t-shirts or even pottery. Among the clubs represented were Student Council, Class Cabinet, English Honor Society, National Honor Society, Leo Club and DECA. Also for sale were some gorgeous photographs submitted by members of the photography class here at BHS. Before leaving, you could try your luck on one of the many raffles that were donated by stores around Babylon as well as by some of the many clubs that were in attendance.

Overall, the second annual Souper Bowl of Caring was an enormous success. All those who attended had a terrific time, and it was all for a good cause. All the money raised went to helping children with cancer and cleaning up Long Island’s beautiful beaches. The money will also go to send about twenty seniors to build a home through Habitat for Humanity. To top it all off, the leftover soups, chilis, and desserts are sent over to our local soup kitchen. Last year they were used to feed its members for two weeks straight. This was a great event for a great cause, and I for one can’t wait until next year!