Babylon Homecoming 2021

Lee Ricca, Contributing Writer

Babylon’s homecoming on Saturday, October 23 was a success, and it was an eventful day for Babylon. Starting at 12:30, the parade made its way down the streets of Babylon toward the football field for the big game. The energy of the crowd was high, looking to take a win and defeat Hampton Bays. Before the game day, the cheer team held an event called “Cheerleader for a Day”. Anyone from the grades of kindergarten to sixth grade who participated in this event could walk in the parade and cheer at the game. As the game opened, the cheer team and the kids did a welcoming cheer. The football team got themselves hyped up by the north goal post, then ran down the field as we welcomed the boys for a great game. Once the team was all together, seniors and senior parents were recognized and given flowers. The band led us in the playing of the National Anthem, and the kickoff to the game began. Within the first minute, Babylon scored a touchdown that set us up to win the game. Within the first three minutes, Hampton Bays scored their first and only touchdown for the game. The orange paw-print flag was waved high in the stands by Phelim O’Neil, a proud supporter of Babylon pride. After the first quarter, the band and cheerleaders led us in The Band Dance while the field was set up for the second quarter. Babylon was still crushing Hampton Bays all throughout the second quarter as well. Come halftime, the winners for the class floats and homecoming king and queen were announced. The freshman class of 2025 earned fourth place, the junior class of 2023 placed third, the sophomore class of 2024 placed second, and Babylon’s senior class of 2022 placed first! Lilly Hagen and Luca Giammarino were this year’s homecoming king and queen! During halftime, the Babylon Varsity Cheer team led us through an exciting halftime routine and cheer. The second half of the game just kept getting better and better as Babylon continued to drive up the score. The final score was forty-one to six. Babylon fans went home with pride and another win in the books for the football team, bringing us one step closer to the playoffs.